RTLS, a frequently used term, a vast field and everyone imagines something different under it.
By definition, Real-Time Locating Systems (RTLS) automatically locate objects and people in real time, usually within a building or otherwise contained area. The best way to think of it is like GPS only indoors and much more accurate. With Quuppa technology even accurate to within 10 cm. So you could easily tell two coffee cups apart if they were at different corners of your desk
The term RTLS is often used synonymously with asset or people tracking. However, this is only partially correct. Because the real benefit of RTLS only arises when object tracking becomes part of a broader system. That is, when the tracking of people or objects really pursues a higher-level goal. In the context of Industry 4.0, this includes, for example, process optimization, inventory management or increasing occupational safety. The functions of an RTLS can be used for these purposes, provided that the tracking data generated is embedded in higher-level structures and regularly evaluated. So an RTLS itself is not the solution if you want to benefit from more efficient processes, increased profitability and more safety at work, but its use.
Why Quuppa and Favendo for Industry 4.0?
You might now say, “Okay, then I’ll implement the Quuppa RTLS on my shop floor and have everything I need to track assets and analyze data.” That’s basically true, but it’s only one side of the coin.
For the start, Quuppa RTLS is only about the technology itself. This includes Quuppa-compatible hardware such as asset tags and locators, the Quuppa Positioning Engine (QPE), which calculates the position of the assets, and the open API, which makes the system integrable.
For the implementation of an RTLS system to really drive your business forward, the real-time locating system must be precisely planned and tailored to your use case. There are so many details to consider that should not be underestimated: Budget, application area, hardware selection and number, the tracking environment, accuracy, latency, and, and, and …
This is where Favendo is coming into play. As a Quuppa partner, the experts at Favendo know exactly what is important in the planning and rollout of such an RTLS project. Nothing is left to chance here! Depending on your individual on-site conditions, the installation of the hardware must also be planned. Many factors such as the communication range between tags and locators, the signal coverage by the locators and also their necessary number depend on the environmental conditions of your tracking site. Is it a large open space with continuous line-of-sight? Are there obstacles such as walls or reflective material such as metal? How high are the ceilings?
Based on these starting points, Favendo plans the optimal implementation of your RTLS system. To be able to assess the conditions, the Favendo project team visits your site live on site, if possible. This allows all details to be optimally assessed and application possibilities to be mapped out – even those that may only become relevant in the future. Importantly, you have a single point of contact throughout and don’t have to worry about planning or procuring hardware from Quuppa. Favendo takes care of all this and also supports you with any questions after the rollout of the project.
Want to know more on the partnership between Favendo & Quuppa? Get to know our joint guide for indoor positioning in Industry 4.0. A must for anyone in production and logistics who wants to take the next step!
Step by Step: How does an RTLS project unfold?
1. Get to grips with the subject of RTLS, its benefits and existing use cases. Our guide will provide you with a little assistance.
2. Get everyone on board – right from the start. With projects this big, communication is key. Talk to both managers and owners about the benefits of RTLS, but also involve production employees in the planning.
3. Use the information gathered to derive potential use cases and resulting goals for your organization, and most importantly, measure current KPIs to later measure the success of the RTLS.
4. Define the requirements you want your RTLS to meet: How accurate should your tracking system be? To the centimeter or is room-accurate tracking sufficient? Define the latency and reliability of the system. How much real-time do you need?
One of the advantages of Quuppa and Favendo working together is also that the system is completely scalable and different levels of accuracy can be combined seamlessly.
5. Select the appropriate asset tag based on Favendo’s consulting services. Are there specific requirements in terms of robustness, battery life or cost?
6. Think about how accurate you want your localization system to be. Think about the future: Where do you want to go in the next 10 years? To do this, it is best to create an overview of all software systems and technology platforms already in use. What should be integrated into the RTLS and what should not? Good to know: The Quuppa system can also be used as an IOT gateway.
But the very most important advice when you’re thinking about an RTLS solution is to never stop looking for optimization potential. Even if the installation is complete and your RTLS is active, that doesn’t mean you’re done. A process optimization system thrives on constant analysis!
Download our partner guide with Quuppa for RTLS in Industry 4.0
Favendo is the trusted partner for outstanding Real Time Location Services. Our team delivers reliable and efficient solutions for manufacturing and logistics companies, public buildings and facility management, and cruise ships. To provide our customers with a solution that meets their needs one hundred percent, we partner with Quuppa and Abeeway.
Send us a message and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Or make an appointment with our team directly here: